Getting off the Rollercoaster - Going for Adoption

Monday, March 17, 2008

St Patrick's Day

I have no affinity with St Patrick's day, but perhaps I will remember it in years to come.

KT was round today - I called her on Saturday to make sure she had received our 'flyer' - she had but needed us to change some bits, and when I called she suddenly said - "I need to see you urgently - can you and R make Monday, 12.30?"

Bonkers is just her middle name. As it happens we are both horrendously busy at work, but what are you going to do? Yep - drop everything and be there.

I wasn't expecting anything exciting, as I had called her. I didn't let myself think it might be 'news'. To be honest, I spent most of my time thinking 'what if they've discovered this blog' and worrying that the 'urgent' meeting was to tell me we had been struck off the potential adopters list for my indiscretions here - ever the optimist, you see. (Thank-you Beagle for the advice - I may well try and do that!)

But . . . there is a possible baby.
13 months, but as yet no adoption order - the court case is on 3rd April. And if the placement order is granted . . . we will almost certainly be matched. We could expect to bring our baby home for the very beginning of May, once we have been introduced etc etc.

2 things:
  • I am NOT getting excited. I can't. It's too much of a risk.
  • I would like to know more about the long term effects of having been born add*cted to h*roin. Such was this poor baby's start in life. Can anyone help? I am not having much luck with Dr Google.

4 Comments:

  • I understand not wanting to get excited (yet) but I'm (quietly) quite excited for you!

    Maybe try orphandoctor.com
    for info on the medical issues.

    Fingers crossed!

    By Blogger beagle, at 9:15 pm  

  • Hi...I can help you out, I think. Give me an email!

    tzatziki730@optonline.net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 pm  

  • You have my email, too, I think - I'll look out some stuff for you if you like.

    By Blogger DrSpouse, at 10:19 am  

  • Vivien I am a little excited although I also know that this is not a sure thing.

    I found some anecdotal drivel about heroin addiction having long-term consequences for a child but it doesn't seem to have any scientific rigor. The most scientific item I could find is: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/110503847/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0 from May 2005 - a study which shows no difference in childhood outcomes between heroin addicted babies and non-addicted babies.

    There are certainly other people who are more informed than I am - I have good resources for fetal alchol syndrom but not heroin addiction.

    I'm hoping Vivien, really hoping.

    DinoD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home