Getting off the Rollercoaster - Going for Adoption

Monday, March 03, 2008

A marketing challenge

We are going national.
KT came around this morning, as promised.
As expected it was a no-news meeting.
She promises she is on the case, it's just that she is very keen to get us a very healthy child, who is also very young, which means that it will take a little time. And so far has not been long at all. (It just seems like a long time to us, but we are in a different time continuum, I believe.)

There has been some interest in us, no problems.
IF THERE IS ANY PROBLEM AT ALL, IT IS PROBABLY THAT YOU ARE A LITTLE OLDER.
I am surprised you didn't hear my scream from where you are.

I swear, if one more person suggests I am too old for this.

She had two questions that she wanted answers to. (Oops, I thought, here we go).
But they couldn't have been easier -
1. If a child were available at short notice, how soon would you be able to move on it (give up work)?
(A: As soon as you like. No problemo. This is the most important thing in the world to us - why would I let work get in the way?)

2. Have you got any holiday planned?
(A: Yes. We have a cottage booked in the Lakes for a week at the end of March - but hey, we would cancel in a heartbeat if there were the sniff of a child for us . . . we are simply not PLANNING any holiday that we couldn't easily cancel.)

Honestly, sometimes I wonder. Why would I go through years of trying to have a baby, then a not-that-much-fun home study etc etc and then book a holiday that I wasn't prepared to cancel, just when it may all be about to come together? Do I look stupid?

So - back to the main point, which DrSpouse touched on in her comment - having circulated our details around the 'consortium' we are now to make our own 'flyer' to circulate around the whole country. I didn't actually realise that this would be an option.

I work in marketing. Flyers are my bread and butter. I know how to make an emotional appeal, and a nice clear call to action. Supporting my copy with suitable photography.
But this one may be a bit of a challenge.
I don't know my market, my target audience, I don't know what buttons they want pushed.
What the HELL am I going to say?
How do I convince them that R and I are the perfect parents for some child out there?

6 Comments:

  • Thank you for your comment on my old "anonymous" blog about miscarriage. I have forgotten my username and password for that account and am happy to have it behind me. The take-home baby you ask about is in my lap nursing right now, thank God. Thank you for following me and asking.

    Best of luck to you.

    This comment will link you to my public blog if you click my name.

    By Blogger Evenewra, at 11:00 pm  

  • Ugh. It does seem almost laughable, doesn't it? Oh, you have a baby for us - sorry, we're going to be in the Bahamas then - no can do! I mean, seriously, do such people even exist?

    I'm excited that you'll be able to expand your search,though, so to speak. That's actually great news, no?

    By Blogger Ali, at 12:15 am  

  • I have heard of SWs ringing people on the way to the airport... not usually to ask them to Turn Around Now but sometimes to ask them to make a decision within the next two weeks i.e. immediately, because they are going to be out of the country.

    You could try asking for advice on the Adoption UK message board about a flyer. I wouldn't really take everything they say mega-seriously (lots of scare stories - those with perfect children don't post!) but I've seen this discussed before now.

    By Blogger DrSpouse, at 10:16 am  

  • Those letters must be terrifying to produce. I don't know if the 'dear birthmother' letters that the US folks write would help, but beagle posted hers as well as writing about the process, and liana posted hers too, you could look at those for inspiration - if not direct learning as the US style is a bit different I think!

    By Blogger Thalia, at 11:14 pm  

  • I'd be happy to share any info I can. I can also direct you to a wonderful woman, an adoptive mom here in the US who helps people with that exact task.

    beagleblogger@gmail.com

    By Blogger beagle, at 6:38 pm  

  • I live in the US and we are trying to adopt a child through the state. Unfortunately we're now through with our part of it and there's nothing left to do but sit back and wait for the social workers to do their thing. So I envy your situation because you now have a PROJECT - something to pour your heart into - something to DO! I'm sending you best wishes and hoping that you find just the right words to say to bring your child home soon.

    By Blogger Kellie with an "ie", at 6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home