Getting off the Rollercoaster - Going for Adoption

Monday, January 15, 2007

Lazy post and a request

Request first. Does anybody understand the information on this link? Obviously I can understand bits of it, but any further insight would be very gratefully received. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=58697

Second - I received the following on an email, and I know it does me good to do a bit of blessing counting - and this is quite interesting too. . .


If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:

There would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans


52 would be female
48 would be male


70 would be non-white
30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual


6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all
6 would be from the United States
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death
1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

The following is also something to ponder...

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation...you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish
someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States and Canada.




Hope you don't find this too 'preachy'. I just liked it - maybe it just hit the right spot for me today.

5 Comments:

  • Thank you for this post. I shared it with many of my friends.
    It gives you a different perspective.....

    By Blogger barbara, at 5:48 pm  

  • I probably understand no more of the link than you do. Looking at sites like http://www.dnadirect.com/resource/conditions/infertility_RPL/yDeletion_inf.jsp helps a little, though. In a very small sample of couples (17) they've found one more thing that perhaps causes recurrent miscarriage. In fact the 82% figure sounds unfeasibly high to me, given all the other factors that can cause recurrant miscarriage. Having said that, there's still quite a gap in current knowledge, and perhaps this explains a portion of it. It doesn't give any hints on how to fix that portion although I would guess donor sperm would be one solution. But having an explanation might be better than the uncertainty and heartache of not knowing how many more times to keep trying.
    Best of luck with the adoption, and all the counselling-shaped hurdles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 pm  

  • Hey Vivien
    From what I understand, microdeletions can indeed be a cause of infertility and recurrent miscarriage loss (although the probability this is the cause of a couple's infertility is relatively low). However, the sample size of this study leaves me shaking my head. I didn't realize you could even publish results based on such a small group. Maybe this is part of the reason for the disclaimer at the end of the article?
    I should remember this but I can't - did you have chromosomal testing on any of your miscarriages?
    Take Care. Sometimes it seems like they will have all the answers once I hit 50 or so.
    DinoD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 pm  

  • The study is small. What it means is that the father can contribute to RPL by having tiny deletions in the DNA of his sperm. Probably this is being caused by some global problem in sperm production, rather than anything he carries in his own DNA. What is happening is that the quality control process governing sperm production is not working normally, and it is causing pregnancies that are not viable. We already knew this could contribute to RPL, but it's difficult to test for routinely because the technology has not been used much in the clinic, and also because there's no help for it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 pm  

  • I didn't read the article but I understand about the adoption / miscarriage part. I have had 3 miscarriages in 2006/07 the last one failed in March after the HCG levels didn't double and it may have been a tubular preg. The first preg we did hear the heartbeat but it stopped at 9 1/2 weeks. Plus I've had complications after each preg. We started the adoption process in Feb 07 and I am finding that my husband still has hope that I can get preg and carry full term. I have little hope at this point which is making the adoption process interesting. My SW hasn't suggested counciling, I don't feel that I need it at this point either. There is always some residue of something after a failed preg. and I think your SW is reading into the situation what she wants to see, but I am only seeing your posting so I'm one sided here. I'm sure you'll work what ever it is out. The adoption process is long and can be difficult at times so good luck my friend I wish you and your husband the best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home