Getting off the Rollercoaster - Going for Adoption

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Tentatively moving forward

We had a conversation, R and I.
What to do about the adoption thing?
It all seems like a huge mountain to climb, with absolutely no guarantees that you will reach the summit, and every chance the failure to do so could push us over the edge.

BUT.

What if ....adoption was an easy process?
What if .....we just had to fill in a form with our names and address and in due course get our adopted toddler?
Would we do it?
Yes, of course.
And we UNDERSTAND why there have to be all these hoops.
They wouldn't know just from a simple form if we are nice people (which we are) or axe murderers (which we aren't).

SO
We will go through the process.
We always have the caveat - if it gets too much, we can stop.

So I phoned the department who had interviewed us.
OMG - they said they REALLY liked us.
They were about to call us to 'kind of headhunt' us, as we hadn't contacted them immediately.
[Do you know - my confidence has been so low that I got off the phone and CRIED because it's the first time anyone 'external' has been positive about my prospects as a parent (or, to be frank, professionally) for AGES.]
Suddenly I feel there may be some hope out there.

Next appointment with Social Services - 16th October.
Let the vetting process begin.
Am I afraid?
Miaow.

10 Comments:

  • Yes! Yes! Yes! as they say.

    I also just made a phone call today (waiting on the outcome to see whether it's going to be that agency or another one).

    It's so nice to be able to DO something.

    I'm trying to think of a way to email you without actually posting my email on the internet. Sad aren't I.

    By Blogger DrSpouse, at 8:46 pm  

  • Hey! We are starting the process of adopting from the foster care system as well, and we are going to an orientation on the 17th. I look forward to hearing how things go. We are taking it one step at a time, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 pm  

  • Well you know darn well that we, the People of Blogland, all KNOW that you will be absolutely awesome parents, don't you? Or did that "external" mean that we are all family now? ;)
    Wishing you lots and lots of luck and courage to slog through all the "fun" to come before you get your child.

    By Blogger Shinny, at 10:13 pm  

  • hooorah!

    By Blogger Jess, at 12:23 am  

  • Fantastic news, I'm so pleased! I had no idea that social services would be so positive about adoptive parents, that's great.

    By Blogger Thalia, at 11:33 am  

  • Vivien, im so pleased they wanted you - ofcourse they did....its so horrible you'd lost your confidence, im glad they made you feel worthy would be parents....i hope the process isnt quite the mountain & maybe just a challenging hill, thinking of you x

    By Blogger Nicky, at 3:38 am  

  • This is wonderful news. Way to go, and way to reach out.

    BTW, have you seen this before?

    "I Spoke With My Child"
    http://www.ISpokeWithMyChild.com

    It's amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 pm  

  • That is wonderful news! Good luck in the process....and I hope that you don't get discouraged and get off the ride. The agency sounds very positive towards you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 pm  

  • Yay! I'm keeping everything crossed for you; I'd be thrilled for you to be a parent! Whatever works... Best wishes for you, and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your journey. : )

    By Blogger Anna, at 7:05 pm  

  • I think that is wonderful!

    By Blogger beagle, at 7:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home