Getting off the Rollercoaster - Going for Adoption

Monday, February 02, 2009

A birthday

Theo is two years old and he had a 'white' birthday - a good fall of snow overnight gave us a new dimension to playing outdoors. I always think snow is so magical, but I'm not sure he was all that impressed - it wasn't thick enough to make snowmen or go sledging, but I am hoping that tonight's fall will give us that bit extra that we need for tomorrow! His first snow and the end of his second year. Nine months with us.

I made dinner for R's parents and we had a big chocolate cake with candles on it. Absurdly I made Sachertorte - but worth the effort - it was SO beautiful, with his name piped on it. Very sophisticated indeed for a 2-year-old! When we had all eaten a lump I remembered I had forgotten to photograph it, so it will have to be one that we just store in our memories (and arteries!)

My life is mostly very, very happy. It is odd to think that there are 'people out there' who know Theo from before we met him who may be thinking of him today. In a way, I hope they are. He had a card from his foster family, still using the nickname for him that we dropped, which just grates a little. I think I am not perfectly magnanimous.

In the meantime also Theo was diagnosed with a heart murmur. The GP who heard it first drove me crazy with his attitude. Eventually we had an appointment with a paediatric consultant who tried to assure me that there was no reason to worry and no need for a scan. I am not quite satisfied but we'll see. I am also not quite ready to become Mother From Hell at our local surgery (though quite capable of doing so, should I think it necessary!)

My lovely Canadian SIL gave me some advice: "Be a bear with him" - she is bringing up a child with lots of issues - he is "on the autistic spectrum" and has had to deal with all sorts of rubbish. So she knows how to stand up for what is needed for her child.

I am now in the process of trying to decide whether or not to return to work in June. So many pros and cons, but it will have to be another post, probably not tomorrow!

2 Comments:

  • That's a very serious cake. Did he have some? Did he enjoy it?

    The heart murmur may well be nothing, actually. I'm not usually one to say that but they are relatively common and often don't cause an issue. Fingers crossed. But don't stop advocating, your SIL is right.

    We had more snow than you, it sounds. Pob was fascinated. I hope the snowfall overnight has excited his interest further.

    By Blogger Thalia, at 9:11 am  

  • Happy Birthday Theo! (Sorry I am late to the party. I am late to mosts things lately.)

    I am impressed re the Sachertorte!

    I have every confidence that you will be the bear mamma if and when you need to.

    By Blogger beagle, at 12:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home